Each day women who are facing an unexpected pregnancy are faced with choice about what they will do; abortion, adoption, or parenting. It’s one of the most difficult choices in life.
But an unexpected pregnancy isn’t just something that affects women. And though men may not be able to legally make that choice, they can definitely play a role in the decision.
If you think she’s pregnant, we first want you to know you are not alone. Yes, it’s difficult, but the two of you can get through this. She needs you more now than ever and here are a few ways you can provide the support she needs, both emotionally and physically.
Here are some pointers to get you started:
What to do:
- Talk with her and listen to her. Keep the lines of communication open between the two of you at all times. DO NOT close yourself off emotionally because this situation involves more than just you!
- Be there for her. She needs you now more than ever before.
- Talk with the people who care. In addition to keeping the lines of communication open between the two of you, it’s important to discuss the situation with parents and others who’ll be directly affected. Keeping this a secret will only add to the stress – yours and hers.
- Educate yourself. Collect information and seek advice from people you trust.
- Be honest with her and yourself. Own and share at all times how you feel. You’ll be surprised at how much it will help her to know that you share the same concerns. You’ll be surprised at what you learn about yourself. And you’ll be proud that you’re standing tall together!
What Not To Do:
- Don’t run from your responsibilities. The more you try to avoid this situation, the harder things will get for the three of you. Now. And forever.
- Don’t pressure her to do what you want. You both need to work together at all times. You’re a team now!
- Don’t stop communicating with her. Express your feelings and add your input whenever it’s needed.
Most of all we want you to know that we’re here for you. We want to help you understand all the options available and to make the best choice for you. If you want to talk to someone, please call your local center or use our contact form and we’ll get back in touch soon.