First time visitors to Clarity Testing Clinic often wonder what the visit will be like. We want you to know, so here is an inside look at what happens at the clinic.
Clarity Testing Clinic offers confidential sexual health medical services for men and women. The clinic provides testing and treatment for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), Pap smears, pregnancy tests and limited obstetrical ultrasound.
Who visits Clarity Testing Clinic?
- Men and women—almost an even distribution between the two sexes and anywhere between the ages of 13-70+.
- Referrals from our centers in Bartholomew, Brown, Decatur, Jackson, Jennings and Shelby counties
- Members of the LGBTQ community
- People seeking confidential testing outside of their community—such as Bloomington, Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne and even out of state
- Women desiring a pregnancy test and limited OB Ultrasound
- We also collaborate with the Bartholomew County Health Department, helping to treat partners of those who have tested positive for an STI like Chlamydia, Gonorrhea or Syphilis.
What are the reasons that prompt people to come to Clarity Testing Clinic?
- Individuals who are sexually active and seeking out routine STI screening
- People who were made aware that a previous partner tested positive for an infection and they are worried that they may have been infected
- Individuals experiencing symptoms of an STI that appear after a sexual encounter
- Those responding to public service announcements that encourage the sexually active to get tested
- Women concerned about possible pregnancy or wanting to confirm a possible pregnancy
- We are a free STD Screening Clinic of the Indiana State Department of Health for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea.
What is a typical visit like?
The clinic is a cozy space that is calming and peaceful, staffed with non-judgmental, caring and compassionate medical professionals and volunteers. We take measures to provide exceptional confidentiality. A visit usually takes about an hour.
During the visit a Sexual Behavior Risk Inventory will be completed to help the medical professionals understand the types of infections you may be at risk for. A medical history will be gathered of your current concern and symptoms, sexual health practices and prevention activities, along with other health related information.
Together with your healthcare provider, a decision will be made about the tests that are important for you to obtain. Specimens will be collected accordingly. For those patients who are experiencing symptoms of an infection, an exam will be performed. For those patients who are seeking STI screening and are currently not experiencing symptoms, the exam will be omitted.
The types of specimens that are collected depend on the type of test to be performed. Specimen types include:
- Urine sample: Pregnancy Test, Urinalysis, male Chlamydia, Gonnorhea and Trichomonas testing (Yes, no swab test for men!)
- Blood draw sample: HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B and C and Syphilis testing
- Throat Swab: Chlamydia and Gonnorhea testing
- Anal Swab: Chlamydia and Gonnorhea testing
- Vaginal swab: Chlamydia and Gonnorhea, Bacterial Vaginosis and Trichomonas testing
- Swab of a lesion to test for Herpes
- Cervical cells sample: PAP testing with/without HPV testing, Gonnorhea and Chlamydia testing
What is the cost of a visit?
There is no cost for office visits and exams if needed. Rapid result tests that are performed onsite are provided free of charge. Other tests that are sent to the lab incur a small lab fee that is passed on to the patient. Those tests and prices include:
- HIV Confirmation: $12
- Syphilis: $7
- Chlamydia and Gonorrhea Combo test: $18
- Liquid based PAP: $14
- HPV: $35
- Herpes: $25
- Hepatitis B, C: $60
Fees can be billed to health insurance or can be paid by cash, Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover cards. Funds are also available to assist clients with limited ability to pay.
How long does it take to get test results?
Testing for HIV, Bacterial Vaginosis, Trichomonas, Urinalysis and Pregnancy are all rapid tests that yield results in 15 minutes or less and will be shared with patients during the visit.
Other specimens are sent to an off-site laboratory and most results are ready within a week. Tests being sent to the lab include: Syphilis, HIV confirmation, Chlamydia, Gonnorhea, Herpes, PAP, HPV, Trichomonas for men, and Hepatitis B and C. Follow-up appointments are made a week later for obtaining laboratory test results and treatment if necessary.
Is treatment also provided?
Yes, treatment for a laboratory confirmed infection is provided. Treatment for suspected infections may also be provided based on the health provider’s discretion. Free treatment for Gonnorhea and Chlamydia is available for patients that meet specific guidelines. Otherwise, prescriptions are called to a pharmacy of the patient’s choice and paid for by them. Free treatment is also provided for genital warts after a confirmed diagnosis is obtained by our physician.
At Clarity, our goal is to affirm each person’s value and worth. We strive to provide holistic care, knowing that a sexually transmitted infection or pregnancy may only be one piece of your concern. We are ready to provide a listening ear, encouragement, resources like referrals for counseling or support groups or educational materials.
A recent patient left us this comment on their feedback form, “Thank you for making me feel comfortable in a difficult, uncomfortable situation.”
Come on in. No need to be afraid. Get yourself tested. Request your appointment today.