Hearing the words, “I think I’m pregnant” can make a guy feel a lot of things—shocked, stressed, angry, confused, happy, scared—the list is endless. Here are some helpful tips for your next steps if you’ve found yourself in this situation.
What To Do:
- Talk with her and listen to her. Keep the lines of communication open between the two of you. Don’t close yourself off emotionally.
- Be there for her. She needs you now more than ever before.
- Talk with people who care. While it’s important to keep the lines of communication open between you and your girlfriend, it’s also important to discuss the situation with parents and others who’ll be directly affected. Keeping this a secret will only add to the stress – yours and hers.
- Educate yourself. Collect information and then talk it over with the go-to people in your life that you can trust to give you wise counsel. Clarity has a wealth of resources to help you know and understand all your options.
- Be honest with her and yourself. Own and share at all times how you feel. You’ll be surprised at how much it will help her to know that you share the same concerns.
What Not To Do:
- Don’t run from your responsibilities. Whether you had planned for this baby or not and whether you want a lifelong connection to your girlfriend or not, you’re now a father and you have a responsibility to your child.
- Don’t pressure her to do what you want, but don’t be afraid to voice your opinion either. You both need to work together at all times. You’re a team now!
At Clarity our friendly male client advocates are here to come alongside you when your eyes are clouded by the fog of your current situation to bring clarity and help you see the possibilities ahead. Check out one of our seven convenient locations and give us a call us today.